Script Writing Competition
"If she can see it, she can be it*"
The two-stage script writing competition IF SHE CAN SEE IT, SHE CAN BE IT*, an initiative of drehbuchFORUM Wien, Austrian Film Institute and FC Gloria (NPO association aiming to actively support, empower and network female filmmakers), addresses the Austrian film industry. Eligible are script authors and debut script authors of Austrian or EEA (European Economic Area) nationality with a permanent residence in Austria. Exposés for full-length cinema fictional films featuring at least one central female character are to be submitted.
An expert jury chooses five of all applied exposés to be ceremonially rewarded with
5,000 euro each plus script consultant support for the development of a treatment.
To facilitate the way into script development for as many applications as possible an additional selection of 16-18 short listed storys from all applied exposés (the 5 winners of stage 1 not included) receive the change to be presented at a pitching with female producers.
The same expert jury chooses one treatment out of the selected five winners of stage 1 to be the winner of the main prize of 15,000 euro plus script consultant support for the development of a script. The presentation of the prize certificate is framed by a ceremonial event.
- a completed and signed application form
- cover sheet with working title and author
- short content summary (3 – maximum 5 lines)
- exposé (3 – maximum 5 pages, 12 pt. script)
- character description (1 page)
- author’s statement: Short statement, why especially this story hast o be told and concept of the cinematic realisation (maximum 2 pages)
- short statement comprising expectations towards the script consultant support (in terms of the applied project)
- short CV and list of works of the applicant
- by adaption of an existing work: option contract confirming filming rights
- one scripted scene with dialogues from the submitted story, making the sequence of a scene and the author’s character handling evident
Six copies of the full set of submission documents are to be sent postally to the drehbuchFORUM Wien (date of post mark) or can be submitted personally. All submitted documents are to be submitted in 12 pt. script size, in German language (after consultation and in justified cases only in English) and with a cover sheet (title and author).
The completed and signed application form is to be enclosed separately only once. Mediums such as DVDs etc. featuring sample work and reference films of any kind cannot be considered.
The participants have no claim to refund of within the script writing competition incurred costs.
The participants acknowledge, that the submitted exposés cannot be sent back due to organisational reasons.
Conditions of participation
- Eligible are script authors and debut script authors of Austrian or EEA (European Economic Area) nationality with a permanent residence in Austria.
- Prerequisite: The author must have the rights on the submitted story and the project has to be free of any contractural relation with a production company.
- The exposés can be developed from both single persons and teams. If a team applies one author applies fort he whole team by naming the co-author. The CVs of the other team members are to be enclosed to the application.
- The exposés have to correspond with the demands of a feature-length cinema fictional film (minimum length of 70 minutes) and to comprise at least one central female character.
- One author can only submit one application.
- Stories that already received funding in the past are excluded from participation (except Arbeits- and Startstipendien of the Austrian Federal Chancellery)
- Award winners are committed to state on the cover sheet of the finished treatment respectively script the award by the script writing competition IF SHE CAN SEE IT, SHE CAN BE IT*, an initiative of drehbuchFORUM Wien, Austrian Film Institute and FC Gloria. If the script turns into a film, the script development support by the script writing competition IF SHE CAN SEE IT, SHE CAN BE IT*, an initiative of drehbuchFORUM Wien, Austrian Film Institute and FC Gloria, has to be mentioned in the credits.
*Motto of the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
Source: website Drehbuchforum.at/stoffentwicklung/drehbuchwettbewerb-if-she-can-see-it